STRATEGIC project goal is to enable, pilot and evaluate a radical shift in the way public cloud services (and existing on-line services) can be migrated, replicated and reused across different regions, as well as in the way they can be used in the composition of novel services. The project systematically studies processes and needs associated with the secure and privacy-friendly replication, migration and extension of public cloud services and is producing a cloud-based infrastructure (including various tools and techniques) that could successfully address these needs for a number of stakeholders including public bodies, cloud application developers, cloud service providers and ISVs. The main ICT infrastructure to be integrated in the scope of the project will be the STRATEGIC framework, which integrates a range of technical developments from background projects (FP7 OPTIMIS, FP7 STORK and CIP-PSP SEMIRAMIS) in order to open new horizons in the secure and privacy friendly migration, adaptation, governance and development of public cloud services, notably in terms of e-government services operated and used by public bodies.
STRATEGIC marketplace of public services supports the co-existence and operation of multiple cloud services that can also be re-used or combined for the creation of new cloud services. Development tools are also provided to ease of the development of the services to be deployed. Various tools are provided from STRATEGIC as services to governmental bodies. (e.g. adaptation, localization, cross-border authentication and data exchange, security as a service). Brokerage capabilities are provided in order to allow the discovery, access and negotiation between deployed cloud services and cloud infrastructure providers. Interoperability layer makes possible the deployment of public cloud services to different infrastructure options selected with the help of Brokerage layer.
Based on the STRATEGIC framework the project will:
- Cloud-enable several on-line public services (notably services operated by the pilot sites of the consortium). These services will be published in a marketplace, along with other existing governmental public cloud services
- Create adapted localized version of existing governmental services (notably successful best-practice services) for public bodies (i.e. pilot sites of the consortium) residing in other EU counties and regions,
- Create/Compose new innovative services based on the composition, reuse and extension of existing public cloud services
- Operate those services on the basis of the involvement of real-users in real conditions in order to validate the STRATEGIC developments and
- Thoroughly evaluate the public services as a means of fine-tuning the STRATEGIC framework, while also eliciting a wide range of best practices and policy development guidelines for sustaining, extending and enhancing the scope of the STRATEGIC concept for public cloud services migration, development, adaptation and governance.
STRATEGIC project focus on cloud computing for e-government services, with the goal of enabling public sector organizations to fully leverage the benefits of public cloud services. Nevertheless, most of the functionalities of the STRATEGIC framework can help private enterprises to adopt public cloud services as well.